‘Africa’s largest
packaging company’

About Nampak

Nampak is Africa’s leading diversified packaging manufacturer, and has been listed on the JSE Limited (Johannesburg Stock Exchange) since 1969. Nampak operates from 19 sites in South Africa, contributing approximately 68% to group revenue, 14 sites in the rest of Africa, contributing 32% to group revenue.

We leverage the skills of our 4 314 people and capitalise on our substantial investment in state-of-the-art production facilities. Our world-class research and development facility based in Cape Town, South Africa, provides technical and innovative product development support to our businesses, as well as to our customers — many of which are among the world's largest fast-moving consumer goods companies.

The group participates in extensive collection and recycling initiatives and continues to invest significant time and resources into the development of sustainable products. Our work to minimise our environmental impact includes supporting and facilitating the recycling, re-use and recovery of packaging.

We continue to invest and improve the performance of our base business in South Africa and are accelerating our investment in the rest of Africa, where some of our factories have operated since the 1940s.

Where we operate – continuing operations

World Map

Nampak products and services

Nampak Metals

Bevcan produces aluminium beverage cans and ends for the alcoholic, carbonated soft drink, fruit juice, energy drink, vegetable juice and ice tea markets. Nampak beverage can facilities are based in South Africa, Angola and Nigeria.

DivFood produces tinplate food cans for the canned food market, as well as a large range of diversified aluminium and tinplate cans including aerosols, monoblocs, paint and shoe polish cans to the personal care, household goods, and industrial markets. Nampak DivFood facilities are based in three regions within South Africa.

The rest of Africa general metal packaging includes food tinplate cans for the fruit, vegetable and milk markets, crowns for the beverage market and diversified tinplate cans for various markets. The operations are based in Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Nampak Paper

Paper operations include the production of beverage cartons for milk, fruit juice, water and traditional beer, self-opening paper bags for the flour and sugar markets, corrugated cases/boxes for the tobacco, poultry, food and general commercial markets, as well as labels and folding cartons for the tobacco, food and beverage markets. The paper operations are based in South Africa, Kenya, Malawi, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

Nampak Plastics

Nampak Rigid Plastics produces HDPE and PET bottles and jars, plastic closures, tubes, crates and drums suitable for the fruit juice, dairy, carbonated soft drink, water, alcoholic beverage, bakery, agriculture, chemical, petroleum, personal care and household markets. The plastics operations are based in various sites throughout South Africa. Nampak also has a significant plastic packaging manufacturing operation in Zimbabwe, supplemented by smaller scale plants in Zambia and Ethiopia.

Inspection and Coding Solutions

Nampak I&CS is a division that supplies Videojet, Altec, Marsh, TapTone, Sesotec, Purex brands and offers the latest in date coding technology, with a range of ink jet, thermal transfer, laser data/batch coders, package integrity inspection/pressure/ vacuum loss detection and foreign partial Metal or X-Ray detectors. The division is a leading supplier of data/batch coding and package inspection equipment with offices in the Johannesburg, Durban, Port Elizabeth and Cape Town.

Research and Development

Nampak R&D is based in Cape Town, South Africa — employing scientists, engineers, technologists and technicians. The facility’s state-of-the-art analytical equipment, together with the personnel’s knowledge and experience in different fields such as material science, chemical analysis, microbiology, food and beverage science and coatings technology is key to the provision of innovative solutions and services to our operations and customers.